Washington Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale

A Washington vehicle/boat bill of sale is documentation of the legal change of proprietorship of an automobile or vessel in Washington. The bill of sale will outline details of the purchaser and vendor, as well as the vessel or car being traded and the conditions of the sale. This form is required for registration and may be relevant for tax purposes.

Washington vehicle vessel bill of sale

Washington Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale

Signature requirements – Both the purchaser and the vendor have to put their signature on the document. Although it does not need to be notarized, other registration documents require it.

Automobile Registration

To run on Washington highways, any vehicle operated by a Washington inhabitant has to be documented with the state Department of Licensing (DOL). Purchasers of brand new or old automobiles, and also individuals relocating to the state, are included. Within fifteen days of acquisition, car purchasers have to formally change proprietorship to the state. (If the car was purchased through a dealership, the merchant will usually take care of this.) Registration has to be renewed annually, and certain renewals can be done virtually.

Where Can I Register My Car?

Vehicle registration can be done at a DOL location near you.

Required documents for Automobile Registration

  • a bill of sale

  • A Vehicle Title Application, which must be completed in the presence of a notary public or a state licensing or Department of Labor official.

  • An odometer disclosure statement if the car is below ten years old; the odometer disclosure statement is not available virtually and has to be gotten via a licensing office.

  • If someone is registering on behalf of the owner then a Washington motor vehicle power of attorney is needed. 

  • All taxes and documentation costs must be paid in full. Washington has a wide range of car taxes and levies. 

Vessel Registration

Vessels, like cars, have to be documented to run in Washington waters. Vessels that are not motorized, watercraft that are below sixteen feet in length and have a motor that produces below ten horsepower, and non-inhabitants visiting the states for below sixty days are exempt. The Recreation and Conservation Office issues boating rules, however, documentation is managed by the Department of Licensing (DOL), and purchasers have to register the vessel within fifteen days of acquisition, just like automobiles.

Where do I Register My Vessel?

Vessel registration can be done by mail or physically at any state vehicle licensing office.

Required documents for Vessel Registration

  • A Vessel Title Application that has been finalized

  • a bill of sale

  • The out-of-state registration is required if the vessel was formerly registered in a different state.

  • The out of state title is required if the vessel was formerly titled in a different state (Note: In Washington, the title often has to be signed over in the presence of a state licensing official)

  • Evidence of transaction payment and use taxes.

Download our free Washington vehicle/vessel bill of sale in an instant to create a legally binding document.

Download our free Washington vehicle/vessel bill of sale in an instant to create a legally binding document.

Related Forms